Skip to main content
Top 5 tips for decorating to sell
- Use Lamps – Table and floor lamps create mood lighting, add additional light where required and create balance with other items in a room.
- Move the TV – Left or right align your TV so that is not centred on a cabinet. The TV should not be the focus in a room. Having it on one side allows you to use a lamp or vignette on the other side to create decorating focus. Even better, put the TV on one side and have a view out a window on the other.
- Scatter Colour – Scatter cushions are cost-effective and easy to change. Use them in odd numbers or cluster odd cushions together. Choose a colour from the room (from art or wallpaper) to create a theme. Create depth and interest by using different shades and textures of the same colour. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns. Florals and stripes look amazing together. To make patterns work together, ensure the colour tones are similar.
- Keep Bedrooms calm – Use crisp linen. White is the most versatile and always looks smart. Use throw rugs and scatter cushions to create a sanctuary. I often use a quilted doona cover as a bed runner and choose a colour from the runner to co-ordinate with the scatter cushions.
- Think in Groups – Decorate sideboards, coffee tables, buffets and mantels with a cluster of items. Use items in varying heights to create balance and work in threes or fives. A candle and books in an arrangement is a winner. Use a tray as a base to create a collection of items.