In this Forever Home podcast episode, Frances outlines how to get the most out of your Powder room -whether it’s the family powder room, or one for guests, she provides design suggestions on how to get the most out of both of these spaces. From injecting personality into your guest powder room, to adding lots of storage so the main powder room can be utilised as an ‘overflow getting ready’ space when kids no longer want to share the family bathroom. This episode will make you revisit powder room design to maximise it’s functionality, and maximise it’s aesthetic appeal.
Episode 88: Bathroom Design Essentials – Powder Rooms
Family Powder Room
- This sits next to the family or main bathroom so it needs to work really hard for you.
- When designing your powder room, you need to take into consideration that it may be used as an overflow room eg for getting ready or a separate space for kids or teenagers.
What needs to be considered;
- Adequate storage – include a proper vanity with good bench space and avoid having a pedestal basin or a wall-mounted basin, so that it provides a large enough area so you can also get ready if need be
- Good task lighting – add task lighting that illuminates your face which will be helpful if you need to use the space to get ready (i.e shave or do make up)
- Add powerpoints- for toothbrush, hairdryer, shaver etc.
- Good size mirror
Guest Powder Room
- The guest powder room provides a golden opportunity to break some rules and add personality into the space.
- Options to consider:
- Bright or bold colours.
- Wallpapers- psychedelic, bright florals, linen, botanical or iridescent. Be mindful not to use paper-based wall papers in a powder room, instead go for a commercial grade vinyl as it is washable and heavy duty.
- Wild tiles- can be installed on walls or floors. A fantastic talking point for your guests. Consider either embossed or neutral.
YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS MY “Beautiful Bathroom Design Made Easy” online course!
I am excited to introduce my new online course Beautiful Bathroom Design Made Easy!
If you are planning on renovating or building a new bathroom and:
- Struggling with the overwhelm
- Not sure where to start
- Worried about making costly mistakes
Then this course is for you. Your bathroom is an important room as you start and finish each day in it, so you want to get it right!
To help with this, I have developed an online course called Beautiful Bathroom Design Made Easy which arms you with knowledge and guides you through the exact process I have used over the last 10 + years as an interior designer to help my clients create their perfect bathroom.
And with this course, you can do it yourself – it’s like having access to an interior designer without having to pay for one!
Find out more here.
Services at White Pebble Interiors
Book a Chat
If you’re thinking about renovating or creating a new bathroom, Frances would love to hear from you. You can contact Frances by booking a 15 minute chat with her.
Join the “Renovating and Building your Forever Home” Facebook Group
Want to be inspired to create a home you truly love? One that is future proof and adaptable as your family’s needs change? Join our exclusive (but inclusive) Renovating and Building Your Forever Home Facebook Group.
Your Forever Home